Christ Church 1860
The cornerstone of Christ Episcopal Church was laid on May 2, 1860, and on Christmas Day, December 25, 1860, the first worship service was held. Although not consecrated until April 10, 1862, the Church was in continuous use after that first service. The real beginning of Christ Church, however, was many years earlier with the completion of the New York and Erie Railroad branch from Hornellsville to Buffalo, New York. The first effort to establish an Episcopal Parish in the area was made in 1850 or 1851, when a missionary named The Rev'd. Asa Griswold divided his time between what was then known as Hornellsville and Dublin, a small town to the east. Due to the small number of inhabitants approximately 500) who had any attachment or acquaintance with the Church, the arrangement was not continued for any length of time. This priest remained in the area for only a year.
At the end of December, 1853, The Rev'd. James A. Robinson first visited to determine interest in establishing an Episcopal Parish. By this time, the inhabitants had increased to about 3,000 and he found a number of people interested in the object of his visit. He was also serving as a missionary in Nunda, and the arrangement was made to divide his time between Hornellsville and Nunda, holding services every other week in each town. On the first Sunday in January, 1854, Fr. Robinson officiated for the first time with a large congregation, which met in Washington Hall, built by Rufus Tuttle and Walter Rose. Due to the unexpected size of the congregation, Washington Hall was immediately enlarged to accommodate the parishioners.
On March 1, 1854, The Rt. Rev'd. William H. Delancey, then Bishop of the Diocese of Western New York, gave his canonical approval of consent to the organization of a Protestant Episcopal Parish at Hornellsville, Steuben County, New York. The formal organization of the Parish was done on March 6, 1854, with the election of two Church wardens (Aaron Morris and Charles L. Prindle) and eight vestrymen (Peter C. Ward,History continued